Our second Apple World User Group University online gathering of Apple user group leaders was held at 8:00pm CST, on May 18, 2020, via the Zoom Meeting app. We had 30 participants who joined for the topic of “How to Get New Younger Members and Retain Existing Members”. The two-hour video can be viewed at: https://youtu.be/OT2ljcetzTM (unlisted YouTube).
This session opened with our welcome, Zoom instructions, and a 10-minute presentation about “Attracting Youth” originally presented by Sarah Friedlander Garcia at a 2004 UGU session in San Francisco. This PDF file was sent to AWUGU registrants and is available upon request.
Next was a presentation by George Kopp about appleJAC User Group’s experience with attracting. This was followed by several excellent presentations by David Ginsburg (Suburban Chicago Apple Users), and George Rubin (NaplesMacFriends User Group) about their experiences on the evening’s topic. I am also grateful to all of those who asked questions and offered additional information.
Considerable discussion was held and suggestions made for future meeting topics such as vendor presentations, user forums, getting older members, Ambassador roles, tracking memberships, and other items (collectively, perhaps a “Nuts & Bolts” session). The new AWUGU resource page to share and exchange information is now available (https://appleusergroupresources.com/category/awugu/) hosted by the Apple User Group Advisory Board. Interesting information has already been shared such as links to great podcasts, youtube videos, and presentations including:
- Discourse (https://www.discourse.org)
- MacVoices (http://www.macvoices.com)
- Take Control of Zoom (https://www.takecontrolbooks.com/zoom/)
- In Touch With iOS (http://intouchwithios.com)
- AppleUsers.org (https://www.appleusers.org/presentations/presentation-ideas/)
- Working with Presenters (https://www.appleusers.org/ugr/finding-guest-presenters/)
- Tesla Power Wall (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1hXnWF9Lw)
- Working from Home Temporarily (https://www.takecontrolbooks.com/working-from-home/)
- SCAU Meeting Location (http://www.myscau.org/meeting-location/)
- Apple Ambassador (https://appleusergroupresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Ambassador-Guide-2018.pdf)
- AUG-D (https://lists.apple.com/mailman/listinfo/augd)
We are very pleased that this second meeting was very successful. Our next tentative meeting is scheduled for 8:00pm CDT, June 15, 2020, using Zoom featuring a new topic about “Vendor Offers & Presentations”, and July 20, 2020 about “Nuts & Bolts of User Group Management”. All AWUGU previous registrants will receive an invitation to these meetings.
To become a participant, any interested AUG leader must first register with the AWUGU Coordinator by emailing their name, location, and user group name and web link to firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration must be received by June 13 in order to receive a Zoom Meeting invitation (a download of the free Zoom app in advance is also necessary).